Giggs: I wish Manchester United had signed N'Golo Kante
When Manchester United played Leicester City last season I chatted afterwards to the staff about N’Golo Kanté and what a good player he had been for them.
We discussed what kind of a midfielder he was and their theory was that he was a No 6 and a No 8, a tackler and a passer. They said it was like having an extra player. He has proved that again this season at Chelsea.
Kanté gets compared to Claude Makelele but I don’t see many similarities apart from their size.
Kanté hunts the ball down. He is so quick to cover space, get to the ball and make the tackle. I have played against that kind of opponent over the years. They are a nightmare – you cannot shake them off.
All I can say is that last season I hoped United would sign Kanté, and in the end his buy-out clause looked very good value at £29 million.
It will be hard picking a player of the year from this Chelsea team if they do go on to win the title but I still find myself leaning to Diego Costa. He is the kind of selfless striker every side would like but so few have.
And there has to be a word for David Luiz who is my pick of the three Chelsea defenders, I had my doubts about bringing Luiz back but Antonio Conte obviously saw that he was perfect for that position in the middle of the three. I wondered when he returned whether he had learnt from previous mistakes and, watching him, it looks like he has.
More from Ryan Giggs:
- Where the Arsenal vs Man City FA Cup semi-final will be won and lost
- Where the Chelsea vs Spurs FA Cup semi-final will be won and lost
- Ryan Giggs's Premier League team of the season so far: Who makes the cut?
- Manchester United must turn fixture pile-up to their advantage - just like Ferguson did
- Money is making teenage players richer - not better
- Ross Barkley is no longer a kid - his excellence needs to become the norm
- Now Pep Guardiola knows how big his job really is at Manchester City
- Why referees must show the human touch
- Archery, the right suit and teamwork: how to win a cup final
- Arsenal can still thrive – even if Arsene Wenger departs
- I wish Manchester United had signed N'Golo Kante
- The secret to closing out a Premier League title race
- Danny Rose has all the qualities of my old Man Utd mate Patrice Evra
- Why Manchester City's struggles are no surprise
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has the same aura as Eric Cantona - and is just as lethal
- The night Antonio Conte provoked me into confronting Sir Alex Ferguson - it didn't end well
- Why old-school defending is a dying art
- Mauricio Pochettino has given Spurs a steel they used to lack
- Marcus Rashford can be Manchester United's next No. 9
- The day Pep Guardiola almost forced me to quit football
- Why Man Utd vs Arsenal was my ultimate grudge match
- How going long can beat Jurgen Klopp's gegenpress
- Why I fear this could be Liverpool's year in the Premier League title race
- I have discovered that even Arsenal players can be great company!
- Sir Alex Ferguson left a huge void at Manchester United but decline was not inevitable